Monday, February 21, 2011

Ak-centz?

As of the past couple hours, I'm having to start the decision making process on whether I want to learn spanish or french first (because in my lifetime I'm sure I'll learn both at some point). Right now I'm stuck because while spanish is the 4th most spoken language in the world (french is the 12th) I tend to prefer the way French sounds. Regardless, this whole process reminded me of this lovely website I came across when preparing for a short performance I had to do in an arabic accent:

http://accent.gmu.edu/index.php

You can go to "Browse" then "atlas/regions" and click on an area of the world and listen to the accent that someone from that country carries when speaking English. Useful theater tool, but fascinating to check out in general. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment