Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Another Library Visitation

*note: This is the submition for the "entry 1" blog assignment

I love those moments when you think something is going to be plain and ordinary, but then you're proved wrong when it's EXTRAordinary (i.e. beyond-ordinary). Last Wednesday, one of my classes had the class go to the library for a lecture on utilizing library resources. Unlike the several similar-oriented lectures I had in the past-- this visit wasn't showing us how to use the library resources online so much as why we should use them. From a lecturing standpoint, I felt like this was a great angle come from. Worst case scenario, someone could figure out how to use the online resources on their own, but if you convince them to want to go through the effort, I think it leaves a more lasting impact.

The librarian, Kevin, turned out to be a visual learner (similar to myself) and throughout the lecture he would have various images to support his thoughts. For example, when comparing google to a research database, he put up two images; one of a tricycle and another of a car. While at first glance this seemed silly, I have to get him credit-- the image stuck. He also alluded to a deck of cars as the pool for the database, and showed us various tricks on how you would specifically look up either the black row, a particular number, a set of two numbers, or a specific color with a two possible suit matches. Each time he threw out a new combo, it was posed like a riddle, and there were a couple moments where the answer wasn't what I expected. It humbles you in a sense to realize we're not all high and mighty internet searchers despite our google expertise (I still remember the day I got all excited for learning how to search for a specific word using " " haha).

Here's some select pointers that I found especially nice from the lecture:
  • bibme.com is a good MLA citation website (I have used easybib.com in the past, but I like the design on this a bit more)
  • choose keywords that would appear the smallest amount of times (this might seem obvious, but I can't count how many times I'll type alot of unneccesary words that the search engine does recognize, learning to use this tip might save time)
  • To discover 5 sources for a paper, you have to read 15-20 (I already do this basically when I search around databases, but I'll have to keep this in mind for my next English paper)
  • The difference between "and" and "or" in a search engine (and = get both terms in the search; or = search in both piles and combine them)
  • If you put "?" at the end of a work, it opens it up to various endings (e.g. lead paint? = lead painter, painting, paint, etc.)
  • "Computers give you what you ask for, not what you want" -Kevin (in otherwords, becoming knowledgable about how you ask a computer something can mean all the world in terms of researching)
Overall, I had a pleasant experience and I appreciate the new attitude I have on research databases. I can now start applying them to my own personal affairs.


No comments:

Post a Comment